Institution

Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler Berlin

About us

The Hanns Eisler School of Music Berlin was founded in 1950 as the “Deutsche Hochschule für Musik” (German Academy for Music). The School provides training to circa 500 students at two attractive locations at the heart of Berlin – in direct proximity to the Konzerthaus Berlin at Gendarmenmarkt, as well as in the Neuer Marstall on Schloßplatz, across from the Humboldt Forum, currently under construction. Faculty members – among them Nicolas Altstaedt, Kolja Blacher, Claudio Bohórquez, Hanspeter Kyburz, Marie-Luise Neunecker, Thomas Quasthoff, Christine Schäfer, Julia Varady, Antje Weithaas, and Tabea Zimmermann – contribute to the school's outstanding international reputation, as well as its strong appeal for young musicians around the world. Two thirds of the student body comes from abroad. Sarah Wedl-Wilson has served as Rector of the Hanns Eisler School since October 1, 2019.