MERITA – where chamber Music, cultural hERItage and TAlent meet is an online and offline platform aiming at increasing the visibility and circulation of European string quartets while promoting European cultural heritage.
MERITA develops in three areas - training, production, research - and it is founded upon the principles of innovation, training and development, promotion and sustainability.
The main goal will be achieved through 4 specific objectives:
1. To innovate the chamber music industry functioning, by matching the music institutions’ requests with the quartets’ attitudes, therefore creating new job opportunities for musicians.
2. To enhance training and capacity building for chamber music artists on how to expand, internationalize and consolidate their careers effectively.
3. To foster production and circulation of chamber music in Europe and beyond, through original outreach / special projects.
4. To promote a sustainable business model bringing together chamber music artists, audiences and cultural heritage (European historic houses and sites), fostering best practices exchange and competitiveness for artists, audience engagement and development, environmental sustainability and awareness.
These specific objectives will be reached through the MERITA digital platform as well as through a rich panel of online and onsite activities, i.e. trainings, artistic residencies, transnational and international circulation of the artists, studies and researches.
The project is co-financed by the European Union - European Education and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) and is represented by Le Dimore del Quartetto, based in Milan, Italy, as lead and coordinator of 16 organizations (Platform Members) from 12 European countries:
- Comitato AMUR, Milan (Italy)
- B & M Theocharakis Foundation, Athens (Greece)
- Beogradska Umetnička Nova Teritorija (Belgrade Artistic New Territory - BUNT), Belgrade (Serbia)
- Cadenza Arts Management Ltd., Budapest (Hungary)
- EuAbout Lab ASBL – European Association for Research, Educational, Cultural and Social Innovation, Bruxelles (Belgium)
- Europa Nostra, The Hague (Netherlands)
- European Historic Houses, Bruxelles (Belgium)
- experimentadesign – Associação para a Promoção do Design e Cultura de Projecto, Lisbon (Portugal)
- Julian Cochran Foundation, Warsaw (Poland)
- Kolarac – Zadužbina Ilije M. Kolarca, Belgrade (Serbia)
- Lofoten Internasjonale Kammermusikkfest, Oslo (Norway)
- ProQuartet – Centre européen de musique de chambre, Paris (France)
- Qendra EVENT, Tirana (Albania)
- Stichting Strijkkwartet Biënnale Amsterdam, Amsterdam (Netherlands)
- Traces&Dreams, Stockholm (Sweden)
- University of Arts of Tirana (Albania)