The only professional present day orchestra consisting exclusively of wind players was founded in 1950 under the name of the Leipzig Radio Wind Orchestra, and was active on Leipzig’s only radio station for a total of 41 years. During this time it wasn't just the numerous radio and television broadcasts which made the orchestra known and loved way beyond the Saxony state boundaries, but also its distinctive sound. Their musical work for radio and recording studios remains an important yardstick for high artistic quality to this day.
In order to underline its symphonic potential and artistic qualities even more in the future, the orchestra has been working under its new orchestral name of the Saxony Philharmonic Wind Orchestra since 2010.
In almost 70 years since its founding, the orchestra has collaborated with many well-known instrumentalists, singers and conductors the world over. The Saxony Philharmonic Wind Orchestra applies high standards and these have been continuously confirmed by the positive response from both the public and critics. This is acknowledgement for the musicians and, at the same time, an incentive to continuously hone their artistic expressiveness.
During its touring activities, the orchestra has visited many countries in Europe and abroad, taking part in international music festivals and giving guest appearances in distinguished concert halls.
With the introduction of the cultural region laws in Saxony in 1995, the orchestra was given new tasks relating to the upkeep, promotion and development of musical life in Saxony. In addition to a new series of concerts in the region around Leipzig, the ensemble founded the Saxony Wind Academy, nowadays known as the German Wind Academy. Both institutes are supported by grants from the Leipzig cultural region.