Young 2023 is looking for bassoons and a contrabassoon!
If you play the contrabassoon and wish to auditon for that part as well, please also upload your recording of the contrabassoon excerpts. You will not need to upload a solo piece and scales on the contrabassoon.
The Firebird, Andante: bars 1-7
Symphony No. 2, Movement II: bar 1-4; bar 19-27; bar 97-100
Movement IV: beginning-bar 5 (2nd bassoon); bar 13-37; bar 118-135
Violin Concerto, Movement I: bar 18-28; bar 400-403; bar 523-529
Movement II: bar 20-30
Ma Mere l’Oye, Movement IV, cypher 4 until ending
First + last name parent/guardian 1
Email parent/guardian 1
Phone number parent/guardian 1
First + last name parent/guardian 2
Email parent/guardian 2
Phone number parent/guardian 2
Were you a Young member in one of the previous editions?
Describe your background, musical experience and education.
Notice: This essay should be preferably written in English. If that is too difficult, please write it in your own language.
Video(s) are required (details below). No live audition.
All applicants to Concertgebouworkest Young are required to record a series of videos that include the content outlined below. Each performance segment must be recorded in one take with no editing (though it is permitted to select the best out of several takes). All videos must be recorded within eight months of the application deadline. Professional equipment and/or studio space is not necessary for a successful application to Concertgebouworkest Young. With proper attention to a few details, the applicant's music playing can be successfully conveyed using readily available consumer electronics, like iPhones or other smartphones. Please refer to our Video Guidelines (https://www.concertgebouworkest.nl/en/young/join) for additional information and suggestions for effectively recording the audition.
Required Video Segments
1. Introduction: Before performing your solo selection, please include a spoken introduction in which you state your name, instrument, hometown, and title of the solo work you have chosen.
2. Solo Piece: The solo piece is preferably the exposition of a classical solo concerto, but can be any work of your choice, or a movement/section of a longer work, provided that it is approximately three minutes in duration. If the piece is longer than three minutes, you may record an excerpt or submit an unedited three-minute section from a longer recording. You may also use a recent solo recording if it meets the Concertgebouworkest Young audition requirements, but please record and upload the spoken introduction separately. A work with piano accompaniment (except if you are applying on percussion) is strongly preferred.
3. Excerpts: Each instrument has to play all required orchestral excerpts.
If you only wish to audition for bassoon, only send us the video of the bassoon excerpts. If you play the contrabassoon and wish to auditon for that part as well, please also upload your recording of the contrabassoon excerpts. You will not need to upload a solo piece and scales on the contrabassoon.
4. Scales: Please play one major and one minor (harmonic or melodic) scale in any key of your choice with up to four sharps/flats from memory at a comfortable tempo. Each scale should be played twice, once slurred and once separated, using an articulation or bowing of your choice. Violin, viola, and cello applicants should play two or three octaves; bass, wind, and brass applicants should play one or two octaves.
5. Video Essay: Please record an answer to the following questions:
Please notice: this video essay should preferably be spoken in English. If that is too difficult, please record it in your own language.