POSITIONS AVAILABLE IN THE ACADEMY OF THE CONCERTGEBOUWORKEST AMSTERDAM
The Academy offers talented young musicians the opportunity to gain experience as orchestral players in one of the world’s leading symphony orchestras.
During the academy course, which starts 1 September 2022, the academists play in up to fifteen programs of the orchestra under the guidance of mentors from the orchestra. In addition, the academists attend private lessons given by the principals, and they play chamber music with fellow academists and with members of the orchestra. They participate in various workshops such as auditioning, educational activities and mental training, and they are offered classes in movement and posture training including Alexander Technique. The academists receive Academy certificates on successful completion of the course.
The Academy offers each participant a salary of 1,689 euros gross per month ( 10 months).
We require all participants to be present in the Netherlands for the full season (September 2022 through June 2023) and to participate in all activities offered. The academists are responsible for obtaining their health insurance and their housing in Amsterdam.
Who can apply? Musicians who:
• are not older than 26 at 1 September 2022 and
• preferably have a Bachelor’s degree or are studying for a Master’s degree and
• are holding the nationality of a European Union country plus, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. Or are in the possession of a valid Dutch working permit.
We require a video with good sound quality. The requested repertoire can be found below under the chapter video.
The Concertgebouworkest reserves the right to make a preliminary selection based on letters / video of application. The results will be communicated by 22 December 2021
More information about the Academy can be found at:
Haydn - Cello Concerto in D major, first movement, exposition (without cadenza)
LIVE AUDITION (same day)
One movement of a romantic / modern concert of choice.
Beethoven - Symphony No. 5
Brahms - Symphony No. 2
Strauss - Ein Heldenleben
Mendelssohn - Midsummer
- what is your motivation and interest?
Se requiere(n) vídeo(s) para la preselección (especificar abajo).
Requested repertoire video:
Haydn Cello Concerto in D major, exposition
Dvorak Cello Concerto in b minor, exposition
Schumann Cello Concerto in a minor, exposition
Technical specifications and recording tips
- a phone or tablet with a good internal microphone or preferably with an external microphone attachment
- a laptop with a USB microphone or microphone connected to an audio interface
- a sound recorder with build-in camera or combined with video from phone/tablet or camera
Camera frame and microphone placement
- experiment with the placement of your recording device(s) to achieve the following results:
- Make sure to have adequate lighting while recording, with no bright lights or bright windows in the background.
If the lighting in a room isn't sufficient you can use a window with daylight as a natural light source.
- Frame yourself so that at least your entire upper body and face are visible. Have the full instrument in the frame.
- A clear and undistorted recording is the goal. If the sound is distorted, change the distance or orientation to the microphone.
- Choose a quiet and well sounding location that is not too dry or has too much echo.
Editing and recording "takes"
- You are allowed to combine audio and video from different sources but the recording as a whole should be made in one unedited take.