Housed in the impressive Gustav Mahler Kulturzentrum in Toblach with its state-of-the-art concert hall and amid breathtaking scenery with mountain backdrop, the International Orchestra Academy Toblach is designed exclusively for aspiring orchestral musicians of excellence to prepare an orchestral programme to the highest professional level, which will be presented in public concerts in important centres at the conclusion of the Academy.
The Academy offers:
▪ an orchestral playing experience as it will be encountered in a professional career;
▪ the study of challenging orchestral works which is vital for a professional career;
▪ the development of professional orchestral skills during an intensive rehearsal period;
▪ the unique opportunity to appear in concert as soloist with the Academy Orchestra in major European centres. Each year, a different instrument will be chosen for the solo opportunity.
▪ After successfully completing the Academy, participants will have the opportunity to return the following year without re-auditioning. This ensures a continuity in standard and community, which is essential to the orchestral ethic.
During the 2023 Academy, the successful applicants will:
▪ form the Academy Orchestra, which will rehearse intensively for one week, after which two concerts will be given;
▪ have the opportunity to audition for a solo work for violin and orchestra, which will be played in concert and recorded. The audition for the solo work will take place during the Academy and is optional. The chosen work for 2023 is Tzigane (Ravel).
The International Academy Orchestra will give two public concerts at the conclusion of the Academy:
▪ in the newly-refurbished Gustav Mahler Concert Hall, Toblach;
▪ in the Giuseppe Verdi Concert Hall, Milan, to open the 2023-2024 distinguished concert series ‘Serate Musicali’.
The programme of works to be rehearsed and performed will include:
▪ Brahms: Symphony No. 4, op. 98
▪ Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra
▪ Wagner: Siegfried’s Rhine Journey from Götterdämmerung
▪ Ravel: Tzigane
▪ Respighi: Belfagor Overture
There are no costs for successful applicants for the duration of the Academy. All accommodation and meals (breakfast and dinner) are provided by the Academy.
Actual travel costs up to €100 can be reimbursed. For reimbursement, Academy musicians must provide proof of travel costs for direct standard second class travel fares.
Email for further questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kurzbeschreibung Ihrer Orchestererfahrung // Short description of your orchestra experience
Presentación de vídeo(s) obligatoria (especificar abajo). No hay audición presencial.
R. Vaughan Williams - 1st Movement, Beginning until (5)
Mahler: Symphony No. 1 - Third Movement Solo (mm 15-24)
Respighi: Fontane di Roma - Fig. 10 until four measures after Fig. 16
Wagner: Lohengrin, Act 3 Prelude - Fig. 2 until 16 measures before Fig. 4; 1 measure after Fig. 5 until end
Wagner: Siegfried, Act 2 Prelude - Beginning until 'un poco animando'
Die Videos müssen unbearbeitet und in angemessener Klangqualität sein. Bitte nennen Sie zu Beginn Ihren Namen.
Das Hochladen mehrerer Videos ist möglich, die einzelnen Werke/Probespielstellen sind jedoch durchzuspielen (ohne Schnitt).
Before performing please include once a spoken introduction in which you state your name.
Uploading multiple videos is possible. However, the individual works or audition passages are to be played through (without cut). The videos must be unedited and of appropriate sound quality.